Friday, March 18, 2011

Wanted: One Woman to Deal with Crap.

Thursday we found ourselves at the hospital. Lydia was unable to pee. I felt like my kidneys were being stabbed by a tiny knife. 

Results: Lydia has a colon blockage and needs some "assistance". Urologist said that based on the x-rays, it looked like this had been a problem for months. "Oh. I see you took her to her pediatrician 3 times for this problem since Christmas. And the pediatrician, play therapy?" 

Yep, the pediatrician thought the painful peeing was her just trying to get attention. The urologist gave me a new pediatrician recommendation. I thankfully took it.

Urologist thinks I have a serious kidney infection or kidney stones. Oh, please please no to the stones. 

Doctors orders:

for Lydia:
         spend lots of time getting her to drink, stay active, laxatives and twice a day....enemas.

for me:
        antibiotics and rest. Lots of rest. "Keep your feet up".

I just looked at her for a minute, holding my restless toddler and trying to keep Lydia from escaping the exam room.

"Can your husband take tomorrow off?"

"He is on a business trip".

"Any family around?"

"Unfortunately no."

That was yesterday.

Today. Enemas on a 5 year old should never
be administered by someone trying to stay still. 
Or by someone wearing white.

Collin saw the chaos of said enema and decided to try walking down the 
stairs while I was distracted.
Of course he fell.

I ran to find him almost to the bottom, head pointed down. 
He was fine but it scared the crap out of him. Literally. As I held him to me, it soaked through to my jeans.

Funny thing is, it really wasn't such a bad day. 

Lydia and I painted while Collin slept and I loved the smell of the paint and the feel of the brush after such a long time. Lydia is a very sweet painting partner, always complimenting my efforts.

Collin dumped my bedside water over himself, so I undressed him down to his diaper and we cuddled in bed and read the Llama Llama books over and over and over again. We had a simple dinner of baked salmon and roasted carrots and it ended up being delicious. 

It always helps to have sweet friends too. Look at the beautiful arrangement that arrived this evening to wish me get better soon and brighten my day. Yellow brightens any day. Thank you M.L.!

"Wook Mama! Yellow!" 

I'm so proud.

Tomorrow I'm taking the day off. If you need me, I'll be in bed. Shane will be taking over poop duties until Monday.


Shannon said...

Oh my goodness. "it really wasn't such a bad day." I am amazed you can say that! Get better soon - both of you!

Jessie Jones said...

Oh my. You're a rockstar for making it through! I hope you all feel better soon! Hugs!!!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shanny said...

I can't believe you said it wasn't such a bad day. What a good attitude! What a good mom!

Unknown said...

I hope you guys feel better soon!

Kristin said...

Hang in there! I hope that you are all feeling better soon. Glad that you have your hubby back for the weekend. Get some rest!

Unknown said...

Natalie! I am so sorry! i wish I was there to help you. But soon enough I will see you! Get well soon! Love you

Unknown said...

oh I am so sorry but SO thankful you took that pediatrician recommendation! I'll be doing the no kidney stone dance for you and hope everyone is on the mend real soon!

Hannah Stevenson said...

Oh my. Play therapy? Seriously?
So glad you made it through the day...sounded pretty "crappy" to me but you have a great attitude! Love the flower arrangement. Hope everyone feels better soon!

Lisa Lew said...

I am so sorry!!! Did you happen to have a lot of heart burn when you were pregnant? I got kidney stones 6 months after I had my son and my urologist said it was due to all the Tums I ate for 9 months. Drink TONS of water - like tons. Hope you have a better week this week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...